Welcome to The Rundown, our daily breakdown of the news stories we missed from the previous day. Got a link to share? Email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case you missed it, we showed the trailer for the comiXology Original, “New America;” Marvel revealed that “The Invincible Iron Man” will be rebooted by writer Gerry Duggan and artist Juan Frigeri; and “Koshchei in Hell” was #1 among Mignola’s November releases.
Cover by Elizabeth Beals
– Writer Jeremy Holt, artist Felipe Cunha, colorist Dearbhla Kelly, and screenwriter Adam Wollet are ready to bring F. Scott Fitzgerald. The great gatsby today with their new AWA Studios show, “Gatsby.” The eight-part series follows the protagonist Lu Zhao, a middle-class student from Singapore, who arrives in the US to spend his summer on Long Island with his cousin Tommy before starting at Columbia University. Soon after arriving, Lu immediately plunged into a chaotic environment filled with “drugs, women, deceit, and murder.” Although the full extent of the exchange of words and locations is not revealed, Holt said “I want to make sure that I incorporate themes from my own life and experiences and connect with people.” Young people who don’t know this story. … [because] There aren’t enough queer and queer stories represented in entertainment. “Gatsby” #1 debuts on November 2. Head over to AIPT to see a selection of unwritten pages.
– To mark the 50th anniversary of the character, DC will have Nubia join the Justice League in a new one-shot called “Nubia and the Justice League Special” #1. Writers Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad, and Stephanie Williams, as well as artists Amancay Nahuelpan and Alitha Martinez, are the creative team behind the special. In one shot, the enslaved Queen of the Amazons will team up with the Justice League to fight an undisclosed enemy. The solicitation for the issue reads that the single shot represents “a future for the character,” although it is unclear whether his involvement with the team for Nubia is permanent, or a celebratory move for one honor the character. “Nubia and the Justice League Special” #1 will be released on November 29 with four different covers; you can see three of them on Newsarama.
– Via CBR, BOOM! Studios announced “Firefly: Keep Flying” #1, a one-shot by writer Jeff Jensen and artist Nicola Izzo celebrating the show’s 20th anniversary. One shot flies at a time from the end of Shooterand see River Tam (played by Summer Glau) take the captaincy of the Laid back. More details were only teased in the one-shot description, with River embarking on “a harrowing journey…to stranger levels than anyone could imagine,” challenging him and the characters try again. “Firefly: Keep Flying” #1 was released in November; the one shot will have a front cover by Frany and a separate cover by Miguel Mercado.
– Fairsquare Publishing is set to feature a host of Indonesian comic book artists, including Sami Basri and Garrie Gastonny, in the upcoming anthology miniseries “Beyondtopia Legends,” from the creators of Bryan Valenza and Henry Barajas. The stories between the miniseries will draw on various images from Indonesian culture, with narrative descriptions that feature the Black Bull, “an immortal bandit who fights to retrieve stolen treasures.” ,” and Witch Agent Galica, who investigates missing children in London, a haunted city. “Seems like a favorite playground for demons.” “Beyondtopia Legends” #1 is released on November 2. Head to The Beat to see the pages of three different stories.
– Dark Horse Books announced two projects directed by author Chad Corrie, including a graphic novel called “Sons of Ashgard” by Corrie, artist Matt Wendt, colorist Hi-Fi, and letter writer Taylor Esposito. “Sons of Ashgard” is a collection of individual stories “in one big story woven between stories,” about a squirrel named Erick Redfur, who is looking for the comfort in Elmgard after being exiled from his homeland. Soon after his arrival, Erick was “involved in a series of events that quickly escalated into an imminent war with the government.” “Sons of Ashgard” is set for a comic book release on April 26, 2023, with a bookstore release following May 9, 2023. You can see the Details for Corrie’s second upcoming writing project, the prose novel, The Secret Servicehere.
– Marvel Comics launched a new Infinity Comic titled “Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal,” by writers Frank Tieri and John D. Cerilli, and artist Jacob Chabot. The story will take place shortly after the events of the 2019 “Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal Comics” one-shot, with Ziggy Pig desperately trying to keep up his time in the limelight as his fame begins. The series is set to feature a host of the Marvel Universe’s most popular anthropomorphic characters, including the Pet Avengers, Howard the Duck, and Jeff the Land Shark, all of whom Ziggy considers competition. The first issue of the “Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal Infinity Comic” is now available on Marvel Unlimited.
– In response to a backlash after various titles were removed from the Keller Independent School District library system, including “Anne Frank’s Diary: The Graphic Adaptation” by David Polonsky and Ari Folman , the superintendent said the books have not been “banned.” but are still under “reevaluation” after parents complained they were logged into the library system. In a statement , Superintendent Westfall said “The Graphic Adaptation” is open until the ISD establishes a new set of protocols for handling book problems by parents; this method is implemented by the re-selected class for all books compared to the previous twelve months awaiting restoration. Westfall also said that more than 50 copies of the original book continued. During which was contested in February, “Anne Frank’s Diary: The Graphic Adaptation” was not opened after the decision of the committee against the parent. In Westfall, the open books are considered “on the shelves immediately,” but no timeline has been set for new protocols regarding book issues.
– There will be two books under the Star Wars Jedi umbrella, Lucasfilm has announced, namely Star Wars Jedi: Battle Skins by Sam Maggs, a Image of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. Court Martial follow the game’s protagonist Cal Kestis during the intervening period between the events of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and the upcoming Star Wars Jedi: Survivor; No further details have been disclosed. Image of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor to be involved in the development behind the titular video game. Del Rey arranged Star Wars Jedi: Battle Skins for publication on March 7, 2023, though Image of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor It is scheduled to be released by Dark Horse on May 2, 2023. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor does not have a release date yet, although it is unlikely that The Art of the book will be released before the game.
– Finally, Disney has opened the group of people this year to be honored as Disney Legends, which means fourteen people in total, including Chadwick Boseman, Kristen Bell, and Jonathan Groff. Each person honored with the award is “an individual who has made a significant contribution to the Disney legacy.” The fourteen nominees will join George Lucas, Whoopi Goldberg, and Robin Williams. Individual awards will be presented as part of an event at D23 on September 9-11. Read the full list of fourteen honorees here.